What is the origin of the Sodom apple (Wagashi ahaban)?
Calotropis procera(√) is a flowering plant species native to North Africa, Pakistan, tropical Africa, Western Asia, South Asia, and Indochina in the Apocynaceae family. The green fruits contain a toxic milky sap that is extremely bitter and hardens into a soap-resistant gluey coating.
What are other names for the Sodom apple (Wagashi Ahaban)?
The plant is also known as the Apple of Sodom, Sodom apple, king’s crown, rubber bush, and rubber tree. Names like Apple of Sodom and Dead Sea Appderivesive from the fact that it was described by the ancient authors Josephus and Tacitus as growing in the area of biblical Sodom.
What is Sodom apple used across the globe?
¶ Land of Israel:
According to some biblical commentators, the Sodom apple (wagashi ahaban) was the poisonous gourd (or poison-tasting gourd) that caused “death in the pot” in the Second Book of Kings (2 Kings 4:38–41). In this story, a well-intentioned servant of the prophet Elisha gathers herbs and a large quantity of the unknown gourds and throws them into the pot. Following the prophets’ outcry, Elisha instructs them to cast flour into the stew pot, and they are saved.
¶ West Indies: Jamaica
The plant is known to grow throughout the tropical belt and is also common in the West Indies (for example, Jamaica), where it is known as “pillow cotton” by the locals. When ripe “apples” burst, the fibrous contents, along with the seeds, are ejected. Jamaicans collect the former and use it to stuff pillows.
¶ South Africa
In Southern Africa, giant milkweed is used for fiber and medicine, but it quickly invades subsistence agricultural fields, reducing yields. If livestock consumes the plant, they will die. It thrives in Limpopo Province’s hot northern regions. This plant can also be found on road medians and in drainage lines.
What are the benefits of the Sodom apple?
Apply Sodom latex locally to the affected areas.
Apply Sodom plant latex to the affected skin.
Apply Sodom latex to skin patches.
Apply Sodom plant milky fluid to infected skin.
Apply the milk fluid of the Sodom plant to the affected skin.
Take a ripe yellow Sodom leaf. Warm it up. Drops of leaf juice should be squeezed into the ears. It should be used for two weeks.
Apply Sodom latex to the affected teeth.
Roast the Sodom leaves and apply them locally.
Apply roasted Sodom leaves to the affected area.
Warm the Sodomian leaves. Tie it on the forehead with a cotton cloth.
Chew the leaves of Sodom once a day as an antidote. Alternatively, crush the Sodom roots and apply them to the bitten area.
Combine equal parts Sodom leaf juice and honey. Take 1 tsp of it every hour for 1 hour.
Mix 1 teaspoon of honey with the same amount of Sodom latex. Use it on the affected areas.
Take a Sodom leaf juice and honey mixture twice a day.
Apply Sodom plant latex externally to dental problems.
Apply Sodom latex to painful areas.
Take 3 mL of Sodom root extract. Consume it once a day.
Take 1 g dry Sodom latex twice a week.
Take some Sodom leaves and flowers to treat liver disease. Make a decoction of it. Take ten milliliters twice a day.
Make a paste of Sodom latex and turmeric powder. Use it on the affected areas.
Soak a few carom seeds in Sodom latex overnight. Over a flame, roast the soaked seeds. Grind them into a fine powder. Combine 1 tsp of the powder with 1 cup of yogurt. Apply it to the affected skin.
Combine carom seeds with Sodom’s milky sap. Allow it to sit overnight. Roast and grind the soaked seeds. Combine 1 tsp of the powder with 1 cup of yogurt. Use it on the affected areas.
Mix equal parts Sodom flowers, cloves, and black pepper. Combine them in a blender. Combine a pinch of this concoction with Luke’s warm water. This water should be consumed once a day. (Excessive use may result in diarrhea and vomiting.)
Grind the Sodom root bark. Combine it with date palm sugar. Take a pinch with warm milk before bedtime. (Excessive use may result in diarrhea.)
When cold, combine date palm sugar and Sodom root bark powder. Take 2 pinches with warm milk at night.
Add 1 teaspoon of Sodom’s milky sap to 1 cup of cooked rice. Dry it in the sun for seven days. Once more, add 3 tsp of latex, and let it air dry. to produce powder, grind. Use it as snuff after adding camphor powder.
Take 4 g each of the carom seeds, black salt, and sodom flower for diarrhea. Include 8 g of dried ginger. Powder them up by grinding them. Lime juice is added to it to create a thick paste. With it, make little, equal-sized tablets. Use warm water and 1 pill each day.
Make a powder by grinding 1 teaspoon of Sodom flower, 2 teaspoons of dried ginger, black salt, and carom seeds. Add lime juice to it to give it a dough-like consistency. Make it into pills. Use warm water and one pill each day.
Squeeze the juice from ripe yellow Sodom leaves. Add an equal amount of sesame oil to a quarter teaspoon of it. Now incorporate 1/4 tsp of sweet flag powder, 2 teaspoons of asafoetida powder, cinnamon, and garlic. The mixture should be heated until thick. Put it through a cloth to filter it. Use it as ear drops after cooling.
Mix 3 grams of the juice from Sodom leaves, sesame oil, sweet flag powder, cinnamon, and garlic powder for ear discharge. Add 12 g of powdered asafoetida to it. Boiled until it becomes thick. Utilize a piece of cloth as a filter. Use it as an ear drop when it has cooled.
Take 500 ml of sesame oil for your headache. Add two tablespoons of each of the following: black pepper powder, turmeric, garlic paste, and Sodom flower juice. Boil until it becomes thick over a low flame. After cooling, put it in a bottle. Use 3–4 tbsp of oil to massage your scalp. Use it three times per week.
Take equal parts of emetic nut, sodom root, and licorice for asthma. Put them in a blender. Take 2 pinches with water once a day.
Take equal amounts of Sodom, licorice, and emetic nuts when you’re cold. They are blended every day, take one pinch. In cold weather, it provides comfort.
Combine clove, black pepper, and dried Sodom flowers in a 4:2:1 ratio. Powder them up by grinding them. 3 g of it should be consumed with warm water.
What are the traditional uses of the Sodom apple?
- Roots are used to heal snakebites despite being deadly.
- Ringworm is treated with latex, which is also a laxative.
- Leprosy and elephantiasis are both treated and cured with an infusion of bark powder.
- Snakebites are treated using extremely poisonous roots.
- Asthma is managed with the use of leaves.
- In addition to being a rubefacient, milky sap is also a potent purgative and caustic.
- Ringworm, guinea worm blisters, scorpion stings, venereal sores, and ocular conditions can all be treated with latex.
- Its use in India to treat skin conditions has resulted in severe bullous dermatitis, which can occasionally create hypertrophic scarring.
- On the conjunctiva, latex has a congested, epiphoric, and local anesthetic action.
- The flower is used to alleviate catarrh and asthma.
- Twigs are used to make diuretics, stomtonicsonic, anti-diarrheic, and asthma medications.
- Additionally, it is used in abortions, as an anthelmintic, to treat lice, colic, cough, whooping cough, dysentery, headaches, swellings, and ulcers.
- The plant’s latex is processed and used to cure a variety of conditions, including intermittent fever, toothaches, vertigo, baldness, rheumatoid arthritis, and swelling in the joints.
- In cases of dyspepsia, bronchitis, and asthma, the powdered root is employed.
- South India also uses the root bark to treat elephantiasis.
- Women who want to induce abortions to drink juice as an abortifacient.
For the quick healing of wounds, leaves are ground up.
- The root and leaf of this plant are suggested for the treatment of asthma and shortness of breath by the Ayurvedic pharmacopeia of India.
- For conditions affecting the liver and spleen, the stem bark is advised.
- To treat arthritis and other joint problems, hot poultices produced from the leaves are applied to the joints to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Cough, asthma, and other respiratory conditions can be effectively treated with calotropis root, bark, and flowers.
- Research has revealed that Ark has the potential to be employed as an antifungal, anticancer, and anticoagulant substance.
- Salt and arka leaf tea are two very potent herbal remedies for gastritis.
- In rural places, fresh leaf juice is used to cure bite wounds (dog bites, scorpion Ascites: Apply the latex of Sodom stings, etc.)
- Scabies can be treated with a latex, turmeric, and sesame oil mixture.
What are other facts about the Sodom apple (wagashi ahaban)?
On the other side, seed capsules are utilized as mattress fillers.
Additionally, stems make excellent charcoal and are termite-resistant.
The Auricula tree also yields Mudar Gummi, a rubber substance.
The plant serves as a soil binder and can help to enhance soil water conditions.
Stem fiber is a white, silky, robust, cylindrical, flexible, and long-lasting material that can be used for several things, including the production of paper, pulp, duplicating stencils, cheap cots, gunny sacks, and bowstrings.
Strong inner bark fibers are processed into textiles to create a binding material.
The white silky, strong, 2 to 3.5-cm-long floss made from the seeds is used to make robust textiles as well as a subpar filling for mattresses and pillows.
Floss can be used in place of cotton wool in surgical procedures.
The plant is the source of a substance known as Mudar Gummi, which resembles rubber.
A renewable source of hydrocarbons and a source of intermediate energy is liquid latex.
It is thought that leafy branches keep ants away.
For coloring, macerated bark extract can be utilized.
Termite-resistant stems are employed for roofing and hut construction.
Fishing net floats can also be made of very light wood.
Charcoal is produced from wood and used to make gunpowder.
While the stem pith makes terrific tinder, stems make good charcoal.
Due to its attractiveness, practical size, simplicity of propagation, and ease of maintenance, the plant is occasionally planted as an ornamental in dry or coastal settings.
During droughts, sheep, goats, and camels will eat the enormous milkweed leaves, but this is a rare occurrence.
The consumption increases significantly with no negative consequences if the leaves are cut and combined with other feed.
To manufacture “Nari leather” from goat skins and sheep skins, which is widely used for low-cost bookbinding, the hair from the skins is removed using a fermented mixture of calotropis and salt.
Each Apple of Sodom plant yields about 300 berries, each containing 50 seeds, for a total of 1,500 seeds per plant.
Latex has been employed as a hunting and fish poison as well as occasionally for illegal activities, frequently in conjunction with Strophanthus species.
In veterinary medicine, a decoction of the bark or the latex of the ash from the stem is used to treat parasite skin conditions and scabies in cattle, camels, and goats.
The stem bark is thought to encourage lactation in cows.
Since flower nectar is poisonous, it gives honey a bitter flavor. Therefore, beekeepers frequently trim the plants close to the hives.
What are the spiritual uses of the Sodom apple (wagashi ahaban)?
Below is how to break a spiritual marriage with the Sodom apple plant:
- In a bowl, clean the Apple of Sodom leaves and add at least four teaspoons of sea salt.
- Transfer the finished leaves to a bucket and then fill it with castor oil.
- Half-fill the bucket with water after adding Florida water to the buckets of leaves.
- Nyenya leaves can be added to increase the power.
- Send the bucket to the restroom as you say in Psalm 23.
- As the water dries on your skin, pour the water all over your body, leaving you wet.
- Enter your bedroom and ask God to keep you free from any spiritual unions.
- Be free from devils by following this instruction for seven days.
What are the precautions for using Sodom apple (wagashi ahaban)?
- The plant’s juice has been used as an infanticide in Africa despite being poisonous.
- As poisons for arrows and spears, both the bark and the latex are frequently utilized.
- The main component of latex, calotropin, is cardiotoxic.
If consumed, the plant is toxic in all sections.
- Plant handling may result in skin rashes or allergic reactions.
Before using, seek medical advice.
- Avoid using when nursing or pregnant.
- Due to its toxicity, latex can cause blindness in susceptible individuals as well as rashes, blisters, and severe inflammatory reactions.
- Larger amounts of latex consumption result in hazardous symptoms such as convulsions, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, burning in the throat, and stomach irritation.
- Extremely high doses may result in death.
Small children should not be given it.
This is not medical advice. Visit the hospital when sick.